Monday, July 26, 2010

my favorite library moment

I think my favorite library moment from my youth has to be just a slight blip, but something that has stayed with me.
I was about 15. I had read, some months earlier, that one of the most stolen authors of all time was Charles Bukowski. I hadn't thought much of it. Then, someone recommended Ham on Rye and I went to the Cambridge Public Library to track down a copy. The stacks are really scary, with a grate floor. I remember wearing a skirt and feeling uncomfortable about the fact that people could see through the floor up at me.
Anyway, I couldn't find the book, so I asked a lady at the desk. She pulled it up on the (now archaic) computer system and said, "It appears that it's been stolen." I remember being struck by this turn of events, because it was one of the first times that I'd actually read something that proved itself. Now, I always see little signs in bookstores saying that if you're looking for Bukowski, you need to ask at the front desk. And I always think of the Cambridge Public Library.
So, I guess it's weird that my favorite library memory is actually one where they didn't have what I was looking for but I did have them order it from a different library in the city. And I returned it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment