Wednesday, July 7, 2010

html

I am playing around with the first leg in the Charles Dickens/HTML assignment. I am having HTML flashbacks to 12 years ago when it was really popular for high schoolers to have their own websites. I worked really hard on mine. I would put all of my really bad poetry on it. I thought I was pretty slick stuff, being able to do all that.

This assignment is different from a geocities website by far, but it really brings me back in a weird way.

I think it will be really challenging to make the page look like something from the 1840s, especially for someone who likes things to be just right (and lets face it, if we're in a library sci. program, we're probably all like that). All of the text I've seen from around that time has really funky layout stuff going on, and lots of little letterpress quarks, like ink blots, parts where the ink is heavy and parts where it's light, etc. Also, I'm not sure what the font is I'm thinking of, but I haven't really seen it on computers. I love being able to work with a text like this, though. What fun!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have the same problem. I guess the only font I can find is Book Antiqua, but that's micro$oft and so I can't access it. I used Palladio with Book Antiqua as backup.

    It's not quite right and never will be.

    I had geocities too. And angelfire. Different purposes. Geocities was community-based. We had a 'zine. Isn't that cute? I swear though, at 16 we really fucking cared about EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete