Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the quiz

So, the quiz. What can I say? It was an ordeal. I deserve ice cream. Tests really make me nervous in general. I freeze up, my hands shake, I lose words, I watch the clock to the point of distraction. I think I had the main questions down pretty good. I spent the last few days reciting functions of what Dr. T had talked about in last week's class over and over until I had it down. I even made a little song to help me remember, but let's not get into that.

There were some questions from left field, and I won't lie: I might have done some serious educated guesswork a couple of times. I just wasn't prepared to answer some of them. I don't blame myself: there is a lot of terminology in this class that is new to me; not knowing that I had to focus on certain topics basically meant not memorizing their meanings. How could I memorize everything? How can I internalize every name of every function of computers that we've learned so far? I can't, and that's all there is to it. I am letting go of a lot of undergraduate habits in this program...I have come to realize - and this quiz was confirmation - that there are some things I'm just going to not know/not do my best on. Whereas in undergrad, I felt like I was in control of what I internalized, here it's just too much information to make efforts to internalize all of it.

Maybe I'm way smarter than I could ever know and my answers were actually correct, but I'm really not so sure of that. I tired to at least sound intelligent, but I'm sure it came out foolish.

Also, there was a major grammatical error in the extra credit question which left me momentarily stunned, but I think I managed to pick myself up and actually produce a somewhat coherent answer. Thanks for the extra credit. I have a feeling I'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. I ignored the extra credit question because of the missing word. I wasn't prepared for the database questions. It's stuff I didn't know much about before, and haven't caught up with in class. I've had a lot of unexpected stuff to deal with in the last month so I'm going for just getting by.

    My main problem is that it's never clear what they mean by the terms they use. For instance, they used the term "regulate" for something that does not "regulate" at all. This sort of thing throws me off and makes me think I'm missing something. Is there some sort of IP police force? No. If you don't use it, you don't access, but they don't actually "regulate" anything. Who would be responsible, anyway?

    I'm not fond of improper usage of words. Especially if the effect is confusing.

    ReplyDelete