Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Creativity and Learning Through Copyright Infringement, chapter 1

As I noted previously, Remix is giving me quite a bit of food for thought about what is right and wrong and how my generation and generations after mine see big concepts like access, art, culture, education, among other things, in relation to the law.

In Remix, Lessig mentions Girl Talk. I am familiar with this one-man-band. My husband and I were at a party in the fall that we probably shouldn't have been at. We were definitely the oldest people there. Anyway, at that party, we got a good listen to what Girl Talk has to offer. As the evening wore on and we were several hours into Girl Talk's catalog, my husband finally spoke up. I remember it distinctly: "What is this? Music for the ADD generation?"

On the whole, it is really good stuff. I know what Lessig is talking about when he calls it art. It's very well-crafted and it really does speak to the pop culture iconography embedded in us all. Girl Talk weaves a web of cultural references beautifully. It is something that is very important and I think it will continue to be a very necessary and intriguing part of our pop culture as technology progresses. This is one very creative and unique way to process and come to terms with the world around you. Girl Talk's music likely facilitates in the processing and synthesizing of others, which is a very meaningful service. What happens if people push to ban this kind of self-expression and culture-processing? What happens to generations who need this to deal with the world around them but have to face the fact that by doing so, they are criminals? I think that will have more of a negative effect on future generations than the act itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment