Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Amazon Searches

My previous blog post about library catalogs, along with the fact that I’m reading Everything is Miscellaneous by David Weinberger got me thinking about how I search for material to use for work. I do a lot of community services work, which means I do a good deal of children’s programming. I am always on the look out for good children’s books and educational activities for various age groups. This is not always easy and sometimes it can take a good deal of time finding something worthwhile.

Weinberger put into words why I usually start my quest for books with a quick scan through Amazon.com. He writes that “it is in Amazon’s interest to introduce you quickly to books you didn’t know you wanted” (Weinberger, 59). There are so many “related” books that pop up based on many different factors (Weinberger, 61), that, by the end of a search for picture books about bumblebees, you’ll have more than enough leads for your bumblebee-themed program, and likely stumble across interesting prospects for future ventures. I haven’t noticed whether or not this method is faster than going to the catalog first, but it sure feels faster. It certainly feels more productive.

I usually take the information I find on Amazon and then search our library catalog to see if we have the books I’ve become interested in. I have found some of my best resources using this method, but it doesn’t say much for our current library catalog system, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment